I recently got back from Mexico, and I loved the food I had while I was there. So delicious and fresh! My son was turning 17, so why not celebrate his birthday in style? Here is the Mexican inspired meal I made to celebrate!
This post is not sponsored in any way, but I had a great time making a meal for my family!
Part of my inspiration came from a local chain grocery store who offers meal deals each week, and they just happened to have chicken tacos. My family is a big fan of chicken, so I made the recipe, which was full of veggies and such. So yummy! The recipe is below, but feel free to check it out on the Fresh Market website. This is actually the second time I’ve made this meal, and we enjoy it each time! Enjoy my adapted recipe below.
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken breast
- veggies – bell peppers in all sorts of colors and onions work well
- 1 pouch Frontera New Mexico Taco Skillet Sauce
- 8 tortillas
- Mexican shredded cheese mix
- Rinse and drain chicken, and cut into strips.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan until it gets shiny.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper if desired, and brown the chicken on all sides, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken, and add 1 tbsp oil in the same pan you cooked the chicken in.
- Saute veggies until tender (around 5 minutes)
- Toss chicken back into the pan with veggies, and add in the Frontera sauce to simmer on medium for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering, heat up a griddle or skillet to medium to brown the tortillas.
- Brown the tortillas one at a time, flipping them like pancakes to get each side warmed and slightly brown. Place on a plate.
- Remove pan with chicken and serve alongside of warm tortillas.
I also like to add in salsa, guacamole and the Mexican cheese mix on the side for people to add on top of their tacos. So yummy for a Mexican inspired meal!
Ok, I’ll admit that I’m a big fan of avocados and guacamole, so I wanted to try my hand at making it myself. It was SUPER easy and really delicious. Yum! I’m also never really concerned about the ratio of ingredients as it’s not baking – so feel free to add in more or less as you see fit for your own Mexican inspired meal.
- 2 ripe avocados (they will give in to light pressure when ripe), diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- half of a lime
- 1/4 minced (or diced) onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper – finely chopped with SEEDS REMOVED (unless you want it really hot!)
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Well, it’s pretty easy! Do all of the dicing, chopping and mincing as described above. Mix together and serve. Refrigerate and cover any leftovers. Viola! Easy AND yummy. I’d say it’s pretty, too.
Oh, and if you love the napkins, I actually purchased them while I was in Mexico. I bought 10 in all different colors and patterns. I hope to get more next time I go back. They’re so lovely! I hope you enjoy your own Mexican inspired meal sometime soon. Looking for more DIY ideas? Check here to see!