I don’t know about you, but for me sometimes it’s more difficult when I travel to take care of my hair. If your hair needs a bit more TLC and some extra cleaning and moisturizing when you get home, be sure to try this great hair treatment!
I’ve traveled to pollutant cities such as Kathmandu, Nepal and Beijing, China. Sometimes I feel that it’s hard to get the grime out.
I also remember a trip to Burundi, Africa where our water was collected in rain barrels. We could literally see tiny, swimming things in the water outside. Although the water was filtered, my time showering was super short!
When I come home from a trip like that, I really like to give my hair some TLC, and I thought I’d share the formula I use. I hope it helps your hair feel fresh and clean, too. Be sure to allow yourself at least an hour of time to do this hair treatment. Also, the amount you will need depends on the length of your hair. Feel free to adjust the amounts. Enjoy!
- 4 Tbsp Coconut Oil (moisturizing)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Soda (cleansing)
- 1 Teaspoon Honey (moisturizing and also anti-bacterial)
- 1 Teaspoon Vinegar (cleansing and will also make the baking soda fizz a bit)
- Shower Cap
- Towel (large enough to cover your head)
- Place the honey and coconut oil in a microwaveable container (with a pour spout is best!). Microwave until softened about 30 seconds.
- Add in baking soda and stir.
- Add in vinegar and stir.
- I like to hang my head over the tub and start pouring the mixture over my hair starting at the nape of the neck and working towards the front. Be sure to work in the hair treatment and try to keep it on your hair and scalp while working the mixture into the scalp until your hair and scalp are saturated.
- Place the shower cap over your hair AND wrap a towel around your head as you would if your hair was wet. This is a really important step as the coconut oil (main ingredient) melts with body heat, and it WILL drip.
- Stay put for 30 minutes or more.
- After you feel you are done with the hair treatment, use very warm water on your hair to get the oils out. You can wash your hair and condition it afterwards. I actually like to use a cleansing conditioner (I normally have to use it twice afterwards).
- Get ready for super soft, shiny hair!
I hope you enjoy this hair treatment. It’s one of my favorites both because the effect and also because I keep all of the ingredients on hand in my home.